Reverend Thomas's Irreverent Web Blog. A discussion of U.S. domestic events and policies affecting the development and direction of Faith Hope and Charity Ministries. Along with some highly opinionated comments, some seemingly non-Pastoral in nature.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Poverty is looking good! or The Road To Ninevah

I have had several conversations with friends and family and they all say the same thing. All the facts and figures on our website are boring and hard to read.

They encourage me to make poverty fun?

  • Ok, fine, who wants to hear all about the starving children in America?
  • Who wants to hear about the blue collar worker who can’t pay his light bill because his daughter’s medical bills from her cancer are killing him?
  • Who wants to hear another preacher tell us to cough up some cash, feed the hungry, and love one another? I mean did you see that idiot cut me off on the highway the other day.

I could take the time to repeat all the things I have said on my website, but you know what, you take one look and poof you are gone. So I won’t.

You want to make poverty a fun and exciting topic at the dinner table? I will tell you how.

  • Take the kids to Miami for a week at Disney land. But stay for two, during the second week, go to the grocery store, buy a bunch of groceries, take your grill to a park or someplace all the homeless people are and feed some folks that are hungry, shake a few hands, hear a few stories, WALK AWAY BLESSED! Oh and by the way if you don’t get arrested (and you might because it is illegal in the city of Miami to feed the homeless) think of all the stories you will have to share. Guess what grandma, while we were at Disney Land, Mommy and Daddy got arrested.
  • Spoil yourself one day next week, spend a night on the town, sleep in a shelter, it’s free, comes with blankets and food, you might make a new friend.
  • Toss one of those bags for the local food pantries in your shopping cart every time you buy some groceries for you.

The truth is this: Poverty will only become fun and exciting when it’s gone. The only way that is going to happen if you make it happen, not someone else. You are the support staff the soldier in the trenches need. You are source of income for the soldiers fighting in this war.

Maybe I have not given you a reason to support F.H.C. Ministries yet, we are young, we could be just another group trying to use poverty has an excuse to make money. I won’t bore you with more statistics. I only have one last comment.

I have been running from my calling for years, and I know that God has given a wide enough view on things to scare me good and hard. I will be obedient to His call, and since this is His idea, it’ a done deal, with or without you. I thank Him for that. Everyday is a blessing since I have been released from my whale. The road to Nineveh is my path.

No comments: